Sun City West Foundation History Timetable
- May 1982 – Request made to the Del E. Webb Development Co. (DEVCO) for 3 – 4 acres led to the Property Owners and Renters Foundation (PORA) being chartered on December 28, 1984. Del Webb offered the land with conditions that it be held by a 501 (c)3 corporation, used for community service purposes and stipulated that one acre be leased to the Sun City West Posse;
- November 21, 1985, DEVCO deeded 3.73 acres to PORA Foundation
- January 1987 - the PORA Foundation Board of Directors changed the corporation name to Sun City West Foundation, Inc.;
- October 1987 - After years of planning, community surveys and fundraising, Phase I – 10,000 sq. ft. for Helping Hands (formerly known as Lending Hands) was completed;
- February, 1988 - Phase II – 10,000 sq. ft. provided space for the PRIDES, Thrift Shop, meeting rooms and the Foundation offices;
- April 1991?? - Phase III – 10,000 sq. ft. for extended Thrift Shop, PRIDES, more meeting rooms, office space and 6,060 sq. ft. for Interfaith Adult Day Center
How was this Accomplished?
The total project cost over $1.3 million and included a $500,000 grant from Del Webb, donations from local residents and special fundraising activities. Construction spanned from March 1987 through April 1991. The Sun City West Foundation owes much to the vision of early residents and the generosity of the Del E Webb Development Co. and local residents.